I hate the taste of licorice.
Apparently it's a trait I share in common with my siblings. Twizzlers = the devil.
As pretty as it is, as much as I want to love the idea of it and eat it... this is really food art rather than a meal for me.
But in the event you don't have problems with licorice, I'm told by friends I've made this dish for that it's quite delicious.
- 2 apples (I love Granny Smiths but any crisp apple will work well)
- 3 fennel bulbs, stalks cut off and discarded
- 4 oz Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- Salt and pepper to taste
Use a mandoline or slicer to slice the apples and fennel bulbs. Toss with the white Balsamic vinaigrette (see below). Season to taste with salt and pepper, add the gorgonzola crumbles.
White Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5 T white balsamic vinegar
- 1 T honey
- 1 T lemon juice